Waddles'n'Wags Zoological Haven

The Centre for the Conservation of Specialized Species

What is falconry?

Falconry, also called hawking, is the sport of employing falcons, true hawks and sometimes eagles, owls or buzzards in hunting game.


Can I own a falconry bird?

Yes.  Contact your local MNR and inquire about what you need to own a non indigenous bird.  Your local bylaws also have to be considered. In order to own an indigenous bird (one that lives in Canada) you have to acquire a falconry license.

Can I learn to be a falconer?

Definitely.  There are a few steps to take which can be found on the MNR website.

You need an Outdoors Permit, a Small Game Hunting License, The Hunter’s Safety Course and an Apprentice Falconry Permit.  The Falconry permit requires a sponsor who has held a general or commercial falconry license for at least 5 years.


Do you do educations or demonstrations?

Yes we do.  Please contact us for information, cost and other questions you may have about having us bring one or more of our lovely trained raptors to visit your venue. We love to enhance your knowledge about these amazing animals.


Other questions?

Let us know if we need to add anything else to this page for curious minds.


Add Your Heading Text Here

Copyright © Waddles’n’Wags Animal Haven & The Centre for the Conservation of Specialized Species 2023